About this Recipe
Smell is a powerful thing. Our sense of smell is located in the area of our brain that is also attached to memories so it is no wonder that we are so powerfully pulled back into a potent and vivid memory simply because some odor molecules hit a part of our brain that brought it all flooding back. Our brains and how they connect to our environment is truly amazing. When we were little, we would arrive after a day of driving at my Grandmother's house almost always to the smells of fresh bread of some kind and homemade soup. We would unload our bags and settle in at the dining table, devouring whatever creation my Grandmother so lovingly prepared.
The evolution of smell as an important survival key that is connected to memory makes complete sense when you think of how much easier it is to smell something that once made us sick and choose NOT to eat it again, rather than eat it and feel ill. When I began studying science, it always amazed me that everything that has as smell is emitting hundreds of tiny molecules that all carry their own peculiar make up and vibration so that we can tell the difference between a pear and an apple, even though they are so similar in some ways. The fine wine connoisseur can pick up the subtlest of differences between varieties.
1. This homemade biscuit recipe pairs well with any of Grandmother's Soup and Stew Recipes, but can also be enjoyed my favorite way with just a huge slather of butter and a drizzle of honey.
2. If they don't brown enough, you can always brown them up on the broil setting but if you do this, watch them the whole time as it only takes a few minutes.
3. These biscuits are wonderful warm from the oven and go well with Grandmother's Kitchen Creamy Potato Dumpling Soup Recipe.
4. Just make sure you don't use light mayonnaise, you want the full fat in this recipe. Also, don't use Miracle Whip because it's an entirely different product from mayonnaise.
Cleanup after a recipe is also so important and can be done using natural kitchen cleaners like vinegar mixtures and baking soda. The best cleaning products for kitchen cleaning include mixing half and half parts of vinegar and water and adding a drop or two of all natural dish soap. As you’re cleaning up in your kitchen after making these biscuits, you can wipe down all surfaces using a warm cloth and some of the natural kitchen cleaners you make to get rid of any leftover flour that will most likely get left behind. Always clean the counters first, then the sink so that everything is spotless before your next cooking or baking adventure.
Makes: 8 biscuits
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 cup milk either whole or 2% milk
1/4 cup real mayonnaise (Do Not use lite or miracle whip)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Line a 9x9 size baking dish with parchment paper.
3. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a mixing bowl.
4. In another mixing bowl stir together the milk and mayonnaise with a whisk.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix together with a wooden spoon until combined.
6. Dump out onto your working area and use your hands to gently work together and roll into a fat log about 8 inches long.
7. The dough with appear textured and flaky and that is how it should look. Don't try to smooth it out.
8. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 8 pieces. Again they will look irregular but that only adds to the beauty of the biscuits when they are baked.
9. Place the cut biscuits into the baking dish a put into the preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Remove from the oven and let sit a couple of minutes then move the biscuits to a cooling rack.
11. Transfer to a serving dish.
12. They are just as tasty later at room temperature. The texture is light, fluffy and moist.
As you’re making your biscuits make sure that you’re using all fresh ingredients to avoid mold in your food. There are ways you can learn how to remove mold from your food, but it’s usually just best to throw moldy food away as those tiny little spores tend to permeate the food. It’s especially important to keep these biscuits in a sealed container after they are baked in order to keep them nice and fresh and to avoid them growing mold. Use a special baked goods storage container or just a regular tin or sealed glass or plastic container so that the mold cannot enter. Naturally, since mold spores are pretty much on and in everything, and they are part of the decaying process, your biscuits could have mold on them even if they’re sealed. So if they start to grow white or green fuzzies on them, it’s time to throw them away or into your compost pile.
There's nothing quite like fresh homemade bread to go alongside any meal. Especially a good hearty chilli, stew or soup. The only thing is, regular bread can require a lot of effort and a lot of time to make. So why not just make some biscuits instead?
The easiest way possible to make biscuits is to make the premade refrigerated biscuits you buy at the store, but homemade bread is always a nice treat. Biscuits are one of the easy bread recipes you can make at home with minimal effort and great results every time.
The easy bread recipe only requires a few simple ingredients you may already have in your kitchen, which is always nice as well. You just need all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, milk and mayonnaise. It might be surprising to see mayonnaise in a biscuit or homemade bread recipe.
Usually, you're using mayonnaise on your bread after it's baked, but it's actually a great ingredient to add to your baking too. There are even cake and dessert recipes that include mayonnaise in them. So what's so great about putting mayonnaise in baking recipes and easy bread recipes like this biscuit recipe? Well, it's because mayonnaise is a great condiment that includes both eggs and oil.
That's what mayonnaise is after all, just whipped up eggs and oil that come together to make a creamy dressing or sandwich spread. Mayonnaise is also a good source of fatty acids. Adding the mayonnaise to your baking recipes will add some nice moisture which will make your biscuits fluffy and moist which is what we always aim for with biscuits.