Printed from: www.grandmotherskitchen.net
2 slices bread
1/8 cup milk
1 Tablespoon butter
maple syrup or honey
Some recipes call for vanilla and cinnamon, but this basic recipe is one that kids love and the ingredients are generally on hand.
1. Use 1 egg for each 2 slices of bread and 1/8 to 1/4 cup of milk.
2. Break the egg into a shallow dish, add the milk and whisk together with a fork.
3. Dip the bread into the egg and milk mixture, turn it over and use a fork to gently press down, making the liquid mixture absorb into the slice of bread.
4. Repeat with the second piece. Try to absorb all the mixture into the two slices.
5. Use a larger size frying pan. Melt the butter on medium low, place the slices into the pan. Cook on medium heat, flipping when the one side is lightly golden brown.
6. Put a lid on. This will help to cook the inside of the french toast.
7. Keep an eye when cooking and when the 2nd side is nicely browned, flip once more and leave the lid off.
8. The aim is to get french toast that is the perfect toasted light brown color on both sides.
9. Serve with maple syrup or honey.
10. You can put a little dollop of butter and a light sprinkle of cinnamon if you like.