Are Food Molds Dangerous to Eat

About this Recipe

We've all had that unfortunate experience of pulling some food out of the fridge to eat it only to notice that there is some white or green fuzzy stuff growing on it. That fuzzy stuff is most likely mold, which is a microscopic fungus that lives on food and in another area too. Mold thrives in damp and dark areas, and when it takes over, it can become quite a concern. The dangers of mold in your home are real as it can ruin your home and it can negatively affect your health. So it's important to realize the dangers of mold in your home so you can then learn how to keep it out of your home and learn how to remove mold from your home if it's already growing there. Mold spores land on food whether it's out on the counter or in your fridge and it feeds itself by producing chemicals that cause the food to break down and decay.

So finding mold on your food is a good indicator that it's past its natural expiration date. Some food molds can be dangerous to some degree because they can cause allergic reactions as well as respiratory issues since mold contains mycotoxins that can make us ill. Mold on hard cheese has been found to be the only type of mold that isn't unsafe since some cheese is a form of mold and some cheeses are only eaten after the cheese has grown mold. Like Blue Cheese, for example, those bluish green spots in this cheese is mold. If mold is growing on any other type of cheese, simply cut away one inch on each side of the moldy area and throw the moldy part away. Just be sure to eat the rest right away.

Cheeses that are okay to eat once the mold is cut away include parmesan, swiss, romano, cream cheese and cheddar whereas soft cheeses like goat cheese, ricotta and brie with mold should be discarded since the mold can't be safely removed from it completely. When it comes to other types of food, when you see mold on other food, it should be thrown away. This is because once you see mold growing on the surface of the food, it has impacted the entire piece of food since the spores are not visible. So these moldy foods should be discarded immediately, so they don't spread mold spores to other foods in your fridge or cabinet.

Keeping your kitchen and home clean is the best way to control and prevent mold from growing in unhealthy amounts. Since mold spores are attracted to damp or wet surfaces and humidity, it's important to keep your home properly ventilated and a bit on the dry side. You can get a dehumidifier to keep your humidity levels low and invest in a good air purification system that will keep the air clean and dry. Make sure you clean your dish towels and clothes regularly and always allow them to dry out completely after each use. If you have found mold in your fridge or kitchen, make sure you clean that area thoroughly using natural cleaners like vinegar and baking soda to kill the mold spores.

You'll also want to clean all of your utensils and tools that you used on any moldy food, so you don't spread the mold spores around. It's helpful to clean your fridge once a month with some baking soda in water. To protect food from getting mold on it, make sure you wrap it and keep it sealed up when you're storing it. Also, eat leftovers within a maximum of 4 days after you store them. It also helps to buy less food at a time making sure you're planning your daily meals so that you're not leaving fresh food sitting around for too long.

Privacy | Contact