About this Recipe
This sweet meatball recipe can be made using your favorite kind of ground meat. In this recipe we chose hamburger, but you can easily make it with ground chicken or ground turkey if you like those better. Mostly, in Grandmother’s Kitchen we like to choose vegetable based meals, and choose to cook meat that has been raised in a way that is kind to the animals and also beneficial for the earth. This means supporting local smaller farmers and paying higher prices, but for the small amount we eat meat, it feels worth it to us.
1. Choose lean ground meat from a butcher you trust. We love that our butcher has personally met the farmers that he sells his meat from.
2. You can serve these meatballs immediately with rice or pasta, or for another menu idea - you cook or re-heat and serve on toothpicks for little appetizers. You will be amazed how quickly they get gobbled up.
3. If you want you can use a store-bought peach or fruit sauce or make from scratch with this recipe for Peach Jam.
4. Meatballs are a great freezer recipe. Freeze flat so that you can easily defrost and fry up or bake for a quick and easy meal.
5. We were using these as appetizers for later so we transferred to small warming pots, let cool to room temperature and placed into the refrigerator. It took about 20 minutes to reheat. We used small chocolate melting pots and it took two small pots to hold this amount. These little pots work well when reheating small amounts later. You could also reheat in a saucepan on the stove top or place into a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F. for 20 minutes or until heated through.
1 (16 ounce) package lean ground hamburger meat
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup of Peach Jam
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
a few sprigs fresh parsley (chopped)
1 Tablespoon butter
1. Have ready a small mixing bowl.
2. Place the hamburger into the bowl and break apart.
3. Add the egg, 1/2 teaspoon of the chili powder, 2 tablespoons of the peach sauce, salt, pepper and parsley.
4. Combine the hamburger mixture so the ingredients are well combined.
5. Melt the butter on low heat in a large skillet, turn off the skillet.
6. Form the meat into about one-inch size meatballs and place into the skillet. We got about 24 meatballs.
7. Turn the skillet onto medium and cook the meatballs on one side until nicely browned.
8. Gently flip the meatballs being careful not to break them.
9. Cook the second side until nice and browned.
10. Continue cooking until meatballs are cooked right through.
11. Stir 1/4 teaspoon chili powder into the remaining 1/2 of the peach sauce, stir together and add to the meatballs in the skillet cooking for a minute or two. Turn off, do a taste test and adjust seasoning if needed to suit your taste.
12. Add the remaining peach sauce and stir together.
13. You can serve now if you are using right away.
This homemade sweet peach meatballs recipe is an easy dinner idea or can be used as an appetizer at a family gathering or get together. The peach sauce in this family-friendly meal idea gives the meatballs a nice flavor you will be sure to love.
For this homemade meatballs recipe, you can choose between ground beef, ground chicken or ground turkey depending on your preference.
If you make your peach sauce for this homemade meatballs recipe, you will want to try and use organic peaches. Peaches are on the EWG's Dirty Dozen list of Pesticides in Produce. When tested more than 99 percent of conventional peaches had detectable pesticide residues. An average of four pesticide residues was detected on conventionally grown peaches. Fresh peaches are a great source of micronutrients and dietary fiber.(1)
References: (1) Dirty Dozen, EWG's 2018 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides in Produce™ (2017), Retrieved from https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty-dozen.php