Printed from: www.grandmotherskitchen.net
Makes: 4 cups - Fills 8 buns about 1/2 cup of dip in each
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 package frozen chopped spinach (about 1 - 1.5 cups thawed spinach)
1 (398ml) can artichoke hearts, chopped into small pieces
1 (227ml) can sliced water chestnuts, chopped fine OR 1/2 cup sliced Homemade Oven Roasted Chestnuts Recipe
1 teaspoon pure lemon juice
1 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1/2 cup freshly grated Asiago cheese
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1. In a large bowl, mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, spinach, artichoke hearts, chestnuts, lemon juice, parsley, Asiago cheese and garlic. Cover and place in the refrigerator at least 1/2 hour before using to allow the flavors to infuse.
You can prepare this a day ahead if you like and bake the next day.
2. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
3. You can either bake in a bread loaf or small loaves for individual servings or you can do in a single baking dish.
4. If using a baking dish, grease the dish with oil, scoop in the dip, cover with aluminum foil and bake for 2 hours.
5. If using a bread bowl, scoop out a large bread loaf or smaller bread loafs.
6. Save the bread you scoop out as you can use it later to eat with the spinach dip.
7. Scoop the filling into the loaf or loaves. If you have extra dip, just put into a baking dish and cover with foil. This recipe filled 6 buns and one small ramekin dish. It is up to you if you want to bake in one large loaf or pan, or to make individual portions. Wrap the loaf/loaves in foil and place on a baking sheet.
8. Bake for 2 hours. Remove and serve warm with bread cubes and vegetables. The baking time is the same using large or small.
9. You can eat the scooped bread cold or you can toast it up in the oven while baking the dip by placing onto a parchment lined baking sheet, and putting in the oven for about 20-30 minutes at the same time as baking the spinach dip.
If you don't want to eat these bread cubes, they can be saved once toasted and used as crumbs in other recipes.