Printed from: www.grandmotherskitchen.net
Servings: Approx. 8 large bowls
5 medium potatoes (about 4 cups once it is cubed)
1 medium onion (white or yellow)
1/3 green cabbage (about 4 cups once it is diced)
1 turkey kielbasa ring (you could also use pork or beef)
946ml of vegetable broth (or chicken, or beef - your choice)
1 jar (1 quart) canned tomatoes (about 4 cups) Or store bought canned stewed tomatoes
4 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream, to serve with (optional)
1. Wash and dice the onion and cabbage. Since the heads of cabbage will vary - measure out 4 cups of shredded cabbage and freeze the rest OR store in fridge for about a week for use in other recipes.
2. Wash potatoes and cut into cubes about 1 inch squares. For extra nutrients you can leave the skin on the potatoes.
3. Cut the sausage into bite sized pieces.
4. Heat a large pot or Dutch oven to medium - high, and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add onions and cook for 2 minutes to soften. Add the sausage and cook to brown about 3-4 minutes.
5. Add potatoes and cabbage and stir well. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil and cook on medium- high stirring often to mix the flavors.
6. Add about 1 cup of the broth and cover pot with lid, cooking for 3-4 minutes before opening lid to stir.
7. Add the remaining broth and cover to cook for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft to bite but not mushy.
8. While the soup cooks, use a blender or hand held immersion blender to puree the tomatoes.
9. Once potatoes are ready you can add the pureed tomatoes. Give mixture a stir, cook for one more minute then remove from heat.
10. Serve with sour cream.