About this Recipe
Salads are our favorite food and in truth we often think that when people say they don't like salad it may often be because of the flavor of the bottled salad dressing. If you read the ingredients on many of the bottled dressings they have preservatives and flavorings that don't always make it taste very good.
To be sure there are many wonderful bottled salad dressings these days that are made with natural flavors and ingredients and they taste wonderful, but it can also be quite expensive for a single bottle of these natural dressings.
We always make our own salad dressings and they are easy to do and you can vary the recipe as often as you like. In our family, Grandma Lily often makes a dressing much like the one here in this recipe and we know you are going to love it. Using freshly squeezed orange juice and yogurt make it especially delicious for those salads that have things like avocado, nuts, seeds and apples in them.
1. We suggest making small batches like the recipe below so that you can consume the dressing within a few days. That assures it will taste fresh.
2. Always wash the outside peel of oranges before you cut them and squeeze the juice out of them. The oranges have been handled by other people and could have residue of chemical sprays on them as well.
3. We suggest using the most natural plain yogurt you can find. Stay away from flavored yogurt or any that has sweetener in it.
4. We love using the small Magic Bullet Blender as it is very good for when you are blending smaller amounts. Of course if you don't have one, you can use any blender. The Magic Bullet Blender also comes with a screw on lid so works as a good container in the refrigerator.
4. Try to eat at least one salad every day. Live food is so good for your health.
5. Raw sunflower seeds blended into salad dressing will thicken the consistency, the more you add the thicker the dressing will be.
Makes 1 1/2 cups dressing (10 ounces)
6 Tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (we used 1 large orange)
4 Tablespoons natural plain yogurt
2 Tablespoons organic apple cider vinegar
6 Tablespoons grapeseed oil (it has a very mild flavor)
3 Tablespoons raw sunflower seeds
salt and pepper to taste (about 1/2 teaspoon of each)
1. Wash and squeeze the orange to make the juice. (It can be a little more or less than the recipe says.)
2. Put all the ingredients into the Magic Bullet blender or whatever blender you use and whizz until smooth and combined. The sunflower seeds help to thicken the dressing a little.
3. Transfer to a container with a lid and use on salads as needed.
You can make you salad with whatever lovely fresh veggies you have on hand. In this salad we are using leaf lettuce, avocado, broccoli florets, celery, bite size tomatoes and cucumber. As salads are a low calorie food, you can put large portions of raw veggies on the plate and we find salad to be filling and satisfying.
A large avocado can have over 300 calories in it but avocados also offer you the heart healthy 'good fat'. We suggest that 1/3 to 1/2 an avocado per person is a satisfying amount. Avocados are also rich in Vitamin C and potassium.
If you want to reduce calories in this dressing you can leave out the raw sunflower seeds. Because we mainly eat a nut and seed based diet and do not eat hardly any meat, poultry or dairy products, we like to supplement our diet with raw seeds and nuts.