About this Recipe
We all just need that classic chocolate cake recipe for when the need for a chocolate cake presents itself. One this is simple, moist, fluffy and chocolatey and that works every time. This is that recipes.
Grandmother’s Tip: To test if an egg is okay to use, dissolve 2 tablespoons of salt in 2 cups cold water. Put the egg in the water. If it sinks, it’s good; if it floats, it’s too old
Serving Size: 2x9 inch cake pans OR 24 regular cupcakes OR approx. 48 mini cupcakes
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup cocoa powder
2 cups granulated sugar (you can easily decrease this to 1 cup of sugar and the taste is still delicious and texture is perfect)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1. Preheat oven to 350 ̊F and grease two 9 inch cake pans with butter and dust with flour. Set aside.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and sugar. Use a fork to mix together, breaking up any lumps that you find. Set this mixture aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs until creamy.
4. Add the vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla. Continue to beat with a fork until creamy and well incorporated.
5. Use an electric mixer on medium speed and mix the wet ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients.
6. Add boiling water to the mixture and continue to beat until well incorporated. Pour batter into your prepared cake pans.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
8. Transfer your cakes onto a cooling rack and loosen the edges with a butter knife.
9. Let cakes cool for 10 minutes before flipping onto the cooling rack and removing the pan. Cool cakes completely before frosting.